Saturday, March 27, 2010

ashram

Hey all

Well I have made it to the ashram. It's a lovely place and wonderful to get away from the noise. That seems to be the biggest challenge I'm facing here in India- the sheer noise of the car horns!

The ashram is gorgeous (I'll post photos when I can, this internet cafe doesn't allow you to use the usb) it's in the foothills of the Himalyas next to a river. The people are wonderful and I'm already learning (and we don't start orientation until this afternoon).

Since Tuesday, I have finally had a night of sleep and feeling sooooo much better. It's really hot, the scary part is everyone else is wandering around commenting on how cool it is here... yikes.

I've realized that I should have been training for sitting crossed legged as that's not only meditation pose, but how we sit to eat dinner (yes on the floor, with my tin tray, cup and spoon for the week). It's kind of funky! And my dad will be pleased to know that my bed is 2 inches of foam over plywood - it's sure not the Hilton, but I'm having a great time!

Gotta run, sorry it's short - I'll post more later in the week.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you're having a great time. Can't wait to see pics. Take Care

    Wayne ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.... no talking... now, that would be a challenge for me too! Glad you made it safe and sound. Been following the Sandy to India via Toronto AGAIN, visa waiting saga ... called Paul to get the latest today, but still have not heard. Hope he is indeed getting off to meet you tomorrow. Stay safe ... and enjoy the ashram. I recently read Eat,Pray,Love and look at you, actually doing it! Hugs, Jen xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps... when it is not SO late and I can think straight, I'll figure out how to make Anonymous ... actually say Jen. But anonymous ...ooouuu...sounds so mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys, I'm having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi auntie! your legs must be sore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks brothers, auntie got better at sitting crossed legged as the week went on!

    ReplyDelete