Monday, April 5, 2010

my pal Johnny

Hello everyone
You'll be pleased to know that I have met up with Sandy and we're off on our latest adventure. It was a late night arrival followed by an early morning as we set out at 8am to arrive in Pushkar for 4:30pm (yes, I was a vision!). It was after a quick dip in the pool that I got to meet my new pal Johnny! Johnny is a 7 year old camel who likes long walks, an occasional jog and all the snacks he can reach along the way. He was a good guy and we had a great time riding into the dunes (I have some awesome photos, but yet, substandard internet - hey, we'll be lucky if the lights stay on - will post pics as soon as possible). Johnny and Sandy's camel Donny both floped down in the dunes on their break and stretched out much the same way an exhausted golden retriever I know does...
This morning we hiked up to a temple to watch the sun rise. Although the monkeys their made up the entertainment factor, I couldn't help but feel a bit sad for the people of India. Their pollution has hit such a point that even when I was up in the mountains the sky is never a pure blue. The grasses aren't a pure green. Their enviroment in total (at least at this time of year) seems to be verying degrees of neutral grays and browns. I understand why the women wear such brightly coloured saris (other than the fact they're gorgeous!). It's really the only place other than ads where colour is infused in their lives... makes me really appreciate home.
We have now travelled to a larger city called Jaipur. It's a big busy city. Today we went and visited a fort, which was beautiful, all the carvings and the detail are so intricate! We also did a bit of shopping between my sprints for bathrooms as my tummy has not been happy. Time to break into the meds we brought...
Tomorrow we head out early and start the drive to Rathamborne National Park to pursue my dream of seeing a tiger in the wild. (I actually saw a leopard Saturday afternoon on the way to the train station, my cab was waiting at a railway crossing and we spotted in it the bush 20m away - very cool!). I would be very surprised if there's internet there, so lets assume I'll be disappearing for a couple of days
Hope you're all well ~ namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment